Friday, February 1, 2008

7 Good Friends

Was chatting with a client previously and he asked me if I could name 7 good friends that can enrich my life. It puzzled me what he means by "enrich your life". He went on to explain, one tends to be a reflection of their choice of friends as they'll influence us in many ways.

He named, among his good friends includes Warren Buffet, Steve Jobs, etc. He further mentioned, not to be mistaken that your choice of good friends are people that you know and they know you, and you go out with. They can be anyone that you can know (yet they may not know you) and learn from.

If we mixed with party going friends all the time, we'll constantly be out partying and spending. If we mixed with investment savvy or prudent friends, we'll learn to manage funds better. Of course we need friends from all walks. But if we spend all we earn and have nothing left to invest, we will still (financially) be where we are today, years down the road.

I have not zoom down on my 7 good friends, but I have learnt from a good friend, attitude plays a big part of life. This friend had been played out by his friend many years ago and almost gotten him bankrupt, leaving him a huge debt. I still recall, when I bumped into him at a coffee shop, he was munching pathetically (looks lonely) on a steam bun and coffee (he was just taking a short tea-break actually).

I approached him and had a very brief chat about what he was doing. Weeks later, we met again when we were doing our reservist (national service). We chat indept and I learnt that his problem is approaching the tail end. It will be over in a matter of months.

What made me so interested in him, and to embraced him as a role model is, his positive attitude. While going through a rough patch, he was always smiling and joking. His reply was, "be it that I'm grumpy or cheerful, I'll still have to clear the debt. I might as well choose to be happy and positive, it helps lessen the burden and I'll get through it faster". Wise words! He cleared his debts and is now doing well in life.

I recalled working with him, he was my superior, after the reservist. He is always (still is) so up and going, so energitic. Amazing attitude. In our chinese dialect, we both shared this motto, 'Cheong Ah' (can mean, persevere, puting ur best foot forward, dash for it).

Do not fall and sit there or find a hole to hide. Instead, get up and 'Cheong' for it!

No comments: