Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Ways to Save (5) - $5 a time

Here's a simple yet efficient way to save. It takes a lot of discipline but you'll surely be able to see more money in a short period. Here's what I read

A sum like $12,000 doesn't usually make the news, but one Boston Globe reporter has managed to trick herself into saving that amount by adopting a creative way to save.

With two daughters in college and a mortgage to pay, Marie Franklin and her husband didn't have any extra money to put into savings. While perusing online, she came across a saving trick that suggested saving every five she acquired and depositing them into a separate savings account.

Once she's collected ten fives in her wallet, Marie deposits the $50 into her designated savings account, and once that account has $2,000 she purchases a CD to earn higher interest. After three years of saving all of her fives, she has accumulated $12,000 in savings. Marie acknowledges that this method of saving requires discipline, but her unconventional habit has obviously worked for her.

(source : http://www.savvysugar.com/1802540)

If we just start somewhere, with discipline, won't we be able to see a savings soon? I have tried emptying my pocket of loose change at the end of each day, and manage to accumulate tens every month. It's a method that doesn't take too much effort, yet the returns are measurable.

For me, I don't take conscious effort to save now. I don't spend as I wish, thus I don't get tempted to spend just because I have some extra cash. In turn, I accumulate enough money and invest it each time.

No comments: